Are you lost with what to pack for your next adventure? An adventure travel packing list is a great starting point to make sure you remember those crucial items. Along with packing the right items, you must find efficient and versatile items if trying to pack light. Whether this is your first backpacking trip, or you are a seasoned traveler, having a checklist will create quick, easy, and efficient packing. The worst thing you can do is forget an essential item on the beginning of a several months backpacking trip. Below is a list of gear to make packing a breeze.
In addition, choosing certain items on the packing list can be a huge decision. For example, choosing the right backpack can make or break a long trip. You underestimate the amount of lugging around you will have to do, just between walking from train stations, or bringing along your gear on treks. A backpack needs to be comfortable with support, large enough to fit all the necessities, fit airline regulations if looking to use it as a carry-on, and be durable enough to withstand the abuse it will be put through over the trip.
After figuring out the backpack, next is to organize everything you will be packing. While on the road, packing cubes can do wonders for keeping your life together. Packing cubes are a great way to quickly locate gear and stay organized. Not to mention packing cubes come in all different sizes to fit any piece of clothing. In addition , you can use compression sacs to reduce the volume within your pack.
The Adventure Travel Packing List Essentials
- A backpack (preferably 40 to 48L if you are looking for a carry-on bag, just make sure to check the dimensions after packing to make sure it will fit)
- If checking a bag does not bother you than it could be larger, but just remember you will be lugging it around a lot, so you do not want it too big
- A day pack (walking around cities, excursions, and for a personal bag while traveling)
- Packing Cubes
- Travel Lock
- Backpack Rain Cover
- Emergency Cash
- Money Belt with RFID protection
- Purifying Water Bottle
- Compact Travel Towel
Documents Packing List (Make a copy of all)
- Passport/credit and debit cards/license or ID
- Travel insurance
- Flight/transportation/accommodation reservations
- Emergency contact info (phones always go missing)
- Journal and pen
- Phone and charger
- Travel apps on phone (language translators, directions with downloaded maps (ex. maps.me), and money conversion)
- Simple Power Adapter
Clothes for Any Adventure
You will want to pick clothing items with versatility. All items need to serve multiple purposes and match well with one another, as you are very limited with the number of items you will be able to fit within your backpack. Before leaving for your first backpacking trip the number of items of clothing will seem to be not enough, but if the right items are chosen you will realize you do not need any additional clothing. Laundry is easy to do while on the road. Indeed, packing light and smart can be a challenge. For that reason, here is a list of the core clothing requirements for the majority of trips. Although in certain situations, it will differ depending on the type of activities and location of your destination.
- Underwear (4 pairs)
- Socks (4 pairs) (merino wool are durable and light while providing odor resistance)
- T-shirts (3 – 4)
- Pants (1-2, depending on climate of travel locations) (lightweight and quick dry, jeans are difficult to travel with as they are heavy and do not dry well)
- Shorts (2, one being gym shorts to sleep in)
- Bathing suit
- Base layers (shirt and pants, thin and provide added warmth layer)
- Jacket (make sure it is warm and compact)
Adventure Travel Accessories
- Comfortable, good grip pair of travel shoes
- Flip Flops (or lightweight water shoes if doing a lot of water sport activities)
Another key point is to avoid over packing. Most items are easy enough to find while on the road. Especially toiletry items. With this in mind leave behind the excessive amounts of toothpaste or shampoo. In addition, airlines limit the size and quantity of these items. For carry-ons, your toiletry bag must remain light and fit in a clear-quart sized zip-top bag with all liquids and creams being 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container.
- Personal prescriptions (clearly labeled)
- Face moisturizer
- Lip balm
- Hair gel/hair spray
- Make-up remover wipes
- Electric shaver
- Detergent/clothesline/sink plug (if hand washing clothes)
- Nail clippers
- First aid kit
- Pain relievers
- Insect repellent
- Hand sanitizer
- Body wipes (if trekking long distances where showers will be difficult)
One-Day Adventure Travel Packing List
If you plan to check your luggage, you will want to make sure to pack a day pack to bring on the flight with you, as any important item should make it into the bag that always stays with you. Make sure to put your essentials in this pack in case the airport loses your main bag. Here is a list of items to have in your day pack:
- All important travel documents and emergency cash
- Phone and charger
- Spare outfit
- Electrical converter/adapter
- Water bottle
- Books or magazines
Adventure Travel Packing List Departure Checklist
Check out Travel Backpacking Gear List for a printable checklist to make sure you do not leave anything at home!
It is essential to put your name on all your luggage bags with TSA approved luggage locks. For passports and credit cards, RFID protection holders within a money belt or on their own work well to protect all your information from hackers.
Before leaving always make sure to put your mail on hold, prepay bills, arrange for someone to look after house if needed, and to leave a trip itinerary with a trusted friend/family member. Of course, this is a condensed list, there are a ton of other items that would be great to have if you end up having any leftover room in your pack. But remember you always think you need more than you do. Pack light and you will enjoy not trucking around a heavy pack.
If looking for gift ideas for the outdoor enthusiasts in your life, check out 27 Great Gift Ideas for Adventure Enthusiasts.